Monday, February 21, 2011

Movie Monday

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Dir: Stanley Kramer (1967)

I always look forward to the month preceding the Academy Awards. The reason for this is that Turner Classic Movies puts on their annual "31 Days of Oscar" celebration. Their entire selection of programming focuses on movies that either garnered Oscar nominations or wins. TCM also usually groups the movies by certain themes so it is easier for viewers to watch similar movies. This celebration also provides me with the opportunity to catch up on movies I either never heard of, or had just never gotten around to watching.

One movie that I had always known was important, but had never seen was Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Now that I have finally seen it, I wish I had seen it sooner. The story revolves around a young couple who fall in love after a whirlwind romance in Hawaii. The young couple are John Prentice (Sidney Poitier) and Joey Drayton (Katharine Houghton). Joey decides she wants John to meet her parents and surprise them with news of their upcoming nuptials. Joey's parents are Matt and Christina Drayton (Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn respectively.) During the course of the movie, John's parents are also invited to come and dine with the Draytons.

I had always known that this movie was significant due to the fact that it bore witness to the difficulties of interracial couples in the 60s. However, I did not realize just how funny and heartwarming the film was as a whole. Every time I watch a classic film with spectacular actors, I am reminded just how far the majority of today's cinema has fallen. Sidney Poitier, Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, and Cecil Kellaway (playing a minor, yet significant role as a family friend) all light up the screen in everyone of their scenes. The dynamics between all of the characters are very believable and never seemed too over the top. I did not realize this was Spencer Tracy's last film while I was watching it, but looking back, I can really see why Katherine Hepburn's interactions with him resonated so much. Tracy is the most conflicted character in the movie and is concerned for the long-term well-being of his daughter. It was funny to see him play this role, since I had also just seen him play a similar role in his Father of the Bride (way better than the 90s remake with Steve Martin.) Hepburn is feisty and protective as usual. If you need proof, check out this video. As a side-note, you really cannot get much classier than Sidney Poitier. All I can say is that he rocks!


I found this alternate version for the movie's poster created for TCM in 2009. I love the minimalist style and overall effect. It was created by a company called One Trick Pony. Their portfolio indicates they have made several posters for TCM.

No comments:

Post a Comment