Friday, February 19, 2010

Food Friday

Pittsburgh Pretzel Sandwich Shop
3531 Forbes Ave

Several years of my childhood were spent living in Germany. I currently live in Virginia. The reason I mention this is that my wife and I recently took a trip up to Pittsburgh, PA. There is one overriding reason that I want to move there now. Pittsburgh provided me with some of the best soft pretzels that I have had in many years, since Germany in fact. 

I loved the pretzels I used to get when we went to Bavaria. They were just the right style. The German pretzels were firm on the outside with a warm, soft interior. They also had just a small amount of salt on the outside. Most of the pretzels you find in America are either stale and bland from the street vendors, or too buttery and squishy from shops in the mall. The Pittsburgh pretzels put all the other Virginia pretzels, I have tried, to shame.

I was very excited when I noticed this pretzel sandwich shop while walking down the street. I knew I was going to have to go there for lunch while we were visiting. I was not disappointed. I got the chicken salad sandwich. The salad was so-so, but the pretzel was super-yum. It is right in between Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. It seemed that the shop got a fair amount of college traffic and I hope it does well. Their website is designed so that you can order online and then pick-up in the shop. The employees were very friendly to me and provided me with inexpensive, fresh, tasty food. I really don't need much more than that in life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment