Thursday, February 18, 2010

Television Thursday

Better Off Ted
ABC (2009-present)

I must admit, I was very skeptical about this show to begin with. The TV ads really made it look derivative. I never watched it when Season 1 was actually broadcast. Then right before the second season began airing, Hulu put up the entirety of Season 1. Since there were not any other shows that I felt like watching at that time, I decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by what I discovered.

It is a sitcom that primarily takes place within the office building of Veridian Dynamics. The main cast are all part of the research & development wing of this company. Veridian is known for its development of weapons and other evil products. The cast often question the sense in making such products and try to find ways around it.

The plot sounds very trite, but somehow the show really works. I think it comes down to the quality of the writing and the acting. Portia de Rossi's character Veronica is by far my favorite character. She is Ted's supervisor and is ruthless. But, Portia delivers her lines very well and maintains a hilarious demeanor. Almost every episode has me laughing at certain lines the characters deliver. I don't know what else to say, other than to suggest people give it a try. It is cleverly written, has good actors, and had a Dalek cameo in one of the episodes. Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment