Thursday, February 11, 2010

Television Thursday

Snorks (1984-1989)
Hanna-Barbera Productions

As a child of the 80's I will always have a special place in my heart for the cartoons of that time. I have tried to watch some Saturday morning cartoons this year, but there really aren't any cartoons that I can stand watching. Granted, I have also taken the time to try an rewatch some 80's cartoons, and I will be honest, they don't hold up. There are some cartoons that are best left as fond memories.

Snorks is one of the shows that I think still has certain charms. It does not try to do too much, so there is not much to go wrong. The theme song and incidental music are actually kind of catchy and not as irritating as some themes from 80's shows. A lot of people describe it as Smurfs underwater, and they are not far off the mark. However, I don't find the Snorks as annoying as the Smurfs. My favorite character was always the pet Occy. I loved having pets so I had fun imagining what it would be like to have a pet octopus. Tooter was also fun because he never used words. It required a bit more creativity from the writers and animators to get his dialogue across.

There are several episodes on YouTube if you have a desire to relive your childhoods. "If you could breathe underwater, where would you go?"

No comments:

Post a Comment